March 29, 2018
Until Reynolds ends the abuse, don’t use VUSE!
For ten years, farm workers have asked Reynolds American Inc. to work with their union, the Farm Labor Organizing Committee (FLOC) to end abuses and human rights violations in the tobacco fields. To this day, farm workers remain excluded from many basic worker protections including protections for joining together in unions and engaging in collective bargaining to improve working conditions.
Until Reynolds signs an agreement guaranteeing farmworkers’ freedom of association and the right to collectively negotiate for safe and humane working and living conditions and for a fair return on their work, join us in boycotting the VUSE e-cigarette brand!
Why boycott VUSE?
After five years of refusing to meet, Reynolds began meeting with FLOC in 2012, but these talks have not led to an actual mechanism that would allow farm workers a voice on the job and the ability to negotiate better working conditions. Last year, FLOC members voted to boycott VUSE, an e-cigarette brand made by Reynolds, until Reynolds signs an agreement with FLOC that guarantees farmworkers’ freedom of association.
The VUSE e-cigarette brand is Reynolds’ hallmark product and is sold at most convenience stores. 36% of tobacco sales are via convenience stores. FLOC and its allies have made significant efforts to communicate with the corporate officers of 7-11, Couche Tard (Circle K and Kangaroo), and WAWA convenience store chains, but the chains have not responded to repeated letters and emails.
We need you to stand with farm workers by boycotting VUSE and demanding that convenience stores stop selling this product until Reynolds agrees to give farm workers a voice and a practical mechanism that they can use to negotiate better working and living conditions without fear of retaliation!
- Sign the Boycott VUSE online petition
- Ask organizations and churches to formally endorse the boycott
- Participate in an action at a WAWA, Circle-K, Kangaroo, or 7/11 convenience store demanding that the store stops selling VUSE products until Reynolds signs an agreement with FLOC
- Leave a one star review on Yelp or Google for convenience stores that refuse to drop VUSE
- Write a letter to your local newspaper
- Talk about the boycott on social media, making sure to tag your posts and tweets with #BoycottVUSE and @RAI_News
Actions currently planned:
- April 9th in Durham, at the Circle K (106 E. NC 54, corner of 54 and Fayetteville St., just north of I-40 exit to Fayetteville St.), from 5:00 – 5:45p
- April 10th in Goldsboro, at the Circle K (2101 Wayne Memorial Dr), from 5:30 – 6:30p
- April 11th in Smithfield, at Kangaroo Express (1137 N Brightleaf Blvd), at 12:00p
- April 13th in Raleigh, at the Circle K / Kangaroo Store (4100 Western Blvd.), from 5:30 – 6:15p
- April 15th in Wilmington, at Kangaroo Express (1711 Eastwood Rd), at 10:00a
- April 16th in Kenansville, at location TBD, at time TBD (check @SupportFLOC for updates)
- April 18th in Goldsboro, at the Circle K (600 N Spence Ave), at time TBD (check @SupportFLOC for updates)
Don’t forget to sign FLOC’s petition calling on major convenience stores to drop Reynolds American tobacco product VUSE as part of the upcoming #BoycottVUSE campaign #WednesdayWisdom https://t.co/zc1qTEHqcM
— Farm Labor Organizing Committee (@SupportFLOC) March 28, 2018