October 20, 2022
North Carolina’s labor federation is looking for young people with imagination, smarts, energy, grit, and the skills and drive to learn more about the labor movement and to help us build power for working people in this state as our paid policy intern. Pay is $18/hour. The Spring 2023 internship period runs January 17th through May 12th for approximately 10 hours per week, depending on job performance and budget. We encourage women and people of color to apply. The deadline to apply is Wednesday, November 30th.
Depending on current projects and your own skill set, you may find yourself:
- recruiting labor activists,
- writing articles,
- drafting or proofreading publications and website content,
- doing online research, or
- developing social media content – and
- performing various administrative tasks as needed
Past projects our interns have worked on include:
- Produced a podcast about NC Labor History (source)
- Illustrated a comic book about workers’ rights! (source) (en español)
- Developed a museum exhibit about NC Labor History (source)
- Planned a Twitter training series
- Helped organize annual Workers’ Memorial Day observances
- Helped organize and host statewide candidate virtual town halls
- Translated educational materials into Spanish
- Supported union organizing campaigns
- Produced videos
Qualified applicants will:
- be a resident of North Carolina, and
- be in the process of completing their postsecondary education (college or trade), or
- be a recent college or trade school graduate, and
- have dependable Internet access, and
- have reliable transportation, and
- be able to work 10 hours a week out of our office in Raleigh, and
- be willing to sign an employment contract
Well qualified applicants will be familiar with Microsoft Office, G-Suite, Canva, and/or Adobe Creative Cloud.
How to apply:
This is a well-established, historic, and dynamic workplace where projects evolve and develop continually. If you are flexible and adventurous and if you want to learn new skills while honing existing ones, we welcome you into our congenial family of change makers.
Come grow yourself with us! We’re dedicated to helping you thrive, too!