February 10, 2021
North Carolina’s labor federation is looking for young people with imagination, smarts, energy, grit, and the skills and drive to learn more about the labor movement and to help us build power for working people in this state as our paid intern. Pay is $17/hour. The Summer 2021 internship period runs May 17 through July 30, depending on job performance and budget. We encourage women and people of color to apply. The deadline to apply is Friday, April 30.
Depending on current projects and your own skill set, you may find yourself:
- recruiting labor activists,
- writing articles,
- drafting or proofreading publications and website content,
- doing online research, or
- developing social media content – and
- performing various administrative tasks as needed
Past projects our interns have worked on include:
- Illustrated a comic book about workers’ rights! (source) (en español)
- Developed a museum exhibit about NC Labor History (source)
- Planned a Twitter training series
- Helped organize annual Workers’ Memorial Day observances
- Helped organize and host statewide candidate virtual town halls
- Translated educational materials into Spanish
- Supported union organizing campaigns
- Produced videos
Qualified applicants will:
- be in the process of completing their postsecondary education, or
- be a recent college graduate,
- have dependable Internet access
- have reliable transportation, and
- be able to work 10 hours a week out of our office in Raleigh (only if conditions around the pandemic allow it),
- be enrolled in or in the process of completing a degree or recently graduated from college or technical school
- be willing to sign an employment contract
Well qualified applicants will be familiar with Microsoft Office, G-Suite, Canva, and/or Adobe Creative Cloud.
How to apply:
To apply, email your cover letter explaining why you want to intern for the labor movement and your resume to Jeremy Sprinkle at firstname.lastname@example.org, and be sure to put “internship” in the subject line by the deadline, April 30th. Feel free to include samples of your work that you reference in your cover letter or on your resume. No calls, please!
This is a well-established, historic, and dynamic workplace where projects evolve and develop continually. If you are flexible and adventurous and if you want to learn new skills while honing existing ones, we welcome you into our congenial family of change makers.
Come grow yourself with us! We’re dedicated to helping you thrive, too!