November 29, 2012
State AFL-CIO Goes to The Hill to Tell Congress “No More Tax Cuts For The Rich. No Benefit Cuts For The Rest.”
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 29, 2012
Contact: Jeremy Sprinkle, Communications Director, 336-255-2711, firstname.lastname@example.org
STATE AFL-CIO GOES TO THE HILL, TELLS N.C. MEMBERS OF CONGRESS, “NO MORE TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH. NO BENEFIT CUTS FOR THE REST.”
Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security provide vital federal benefits to North Carolina
(Washington, D.C., 11/29/12) – Representatives from the North Carolina State AFL-CIO joined other union leaders and advocates for workers from 33 states on Capitol Hill yesterday to lobby their members of Congress to finally let the Bush tax giveaway to the top 2% of taxpayers expire and to protect the future economic security of the other 98% by not cutting Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Members of the delegation met with Senator Kay Hagan and Representatives Larry Kissell, David Price, G.K. Butterfield, Mike McIntyre, and Mel Watt.
“It was a wonderful opportunity to meet with Senator Hagan’s staff,” said Sandra Koritz, co-chair of Triad Jobs with Justice. “We’re thrilled that she supports rolling back the tax cuts for the richest two percent of Americans, and that she doesn’t believe in deficit reduction on the backs of working people in North Carolina. We’re looking forward to working together to ensure these budget talks don’t expand income inequality in our state.”
The average income of $611,690 for the top 2% of North Carolinians is 1180% higher than the average income of $51,810 of the other 98% and 4755% higher than the average annual Social Security benefit of just $12,864. Not only do Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security provide vital social insurance to alleviate the worst effects of such income inequality for millions of North Carolinians, they deliver a combined $48.2 billion a year into our state’s economy.
“We all need to mobilize to protect our future,” said Mark Case, president of the local AFL-CIO in Asheville after a full day of meetings in Washington. “We came all this way because we’ll do whatever it takes to keep our representatives representing us and not just the top 2%!”
Raising taxes on folks making more than $250,000 a year and preserving our social safety net were central issues in the presidential campaign. Now some in Congress want to use a budget crisis of their own making to force through policies which voters rejected not even one month ago.
“We’ve got the right president,” said Adam Orlovich, field program coordinator for the state AFL-CIO, after a meeting with Rep. Larry Kissell. “Now we need the right movement to hold all parties accountable and win this thing for working families.”
The North Carolina State AFL-CIO is the largest association of local unions and union councils in North Carolina, representing over one-hundred thousand union members, fighting for good jobs, safe workplaces, workers’ rights, consumer protections, and quality public services on behalf of all working families. PO Box 10805, Raleigh, NC 27605.
It was a great day of visiting our Congressman and Senators and letting them know where our members stand on deficit reduction and other issue’s. When Organized Labor pulls together and hits the Hill it is truly a sight to behold!