December 9, 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
North Carolina State AFL-CIO Announces Endorsed 2020 Candidates
Slate of politicians fights for working people
(Raleigh, N.C., Dec. 10, 2019)—The North Carolina State AFL-CIO is proud to announce 16 candidates it has endorsed in the 2020 elections—politicians who are dedicated to fighting for working people.
Last week, the state labor federation Committee on Political Education approved the 16 candidates recommended by a statewide advisory candidate screening committee, which was comprised of more than 60 union leaders who represent working people across North Carolina.
“This year’s crop of candidates brings a breadth of knowledge, dedication, and can-do spirit to the labor movement that is unmatched,” said MaryBe McMillan, President of the North Carolina AFL-CIO. “Working people across North Carolina are standing up and fighting to make our voices heard. We are proud to support candidates who are willing to stand alongside us and fight to make our state a better place for working people.”
During the day-and-a-half meeting in Raleigh, the advisory committee reviewed completed questionnaires and interviewed more than two dozen candidates.
The following are statewide candidates endorsed by the North Carolina State AFL-CIO in the 2020 Primary:
- Cal Cunningham, U.S. Senate
- Roy Cooper, Governor
- Chaz Beasley, Lieutenant Governor
- Jessica Holmes, Labor Commissioner
- Ronnie Chatterji, Treasurer
- Wayne Goodwin, Commissioner of Insurance
- Elaine Marshall, Secretary of State
- Josh Stein, Attorney General
- Jenna Wadsworth, Commissioner of Agriculture
- Beth Wood, State Auditor
- Keith Sutton, State Superintendent
- Cheri Beasley, Supreme Court Chief Justice (Incumbent, Beasley seat)
- Mark Davis, Supreme Court (Incumbent, Davis seat)
- Lucy Inman, Supreme Court (Newby seat)
- Reuben Young, Court of Appeals (Incumbent, Young seat)
- Chris Brook, Court of Appeals (Incumbent, Brook seat)
Contact: Jeremy Sprinkle, 336-255-2711 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The North Carolina State AFL-CIO is the largest association of unions of working people in North Carolina, representing over a hundred thousand members, working together for good jobs, safe workplaces, workers’ rights, consumer protections, and quality public services on behalf of ALL working people. PO Box 10805, Raleigh, NC 27605.