March 8, 2016
Active retirees analyzed ten critical votes cast by members of North Carolina’s congressional delegation in each house of Congress last year and found both of our senators and most of our representatives failed retirees.
Senate Republicans – including Sen. Richard Burr from North Carolina – used a filibuster to block a bill on Wednesday that would raise the minimum wage to $10.10.
Join us as we speak out on the importance of commonsense immigration reform.
Congressional Republicans voted to cut $40 billion in food aid. How did your N.C. Representative vote?
State AFL-CIO reps joined other union leaders and advocates for workers from 33 states on Capitol Hill this week to lobby Congress to finally let expire the Bush tax giveaway to the top 2% of taxpayers and to protect the future economic security of the other 98% by not cutting Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.
After the election, Congress must decide between tax cuts for the richest 2% or jobs and economic security for the rest of us. We need to act now to make sure our members of Congress understand this – it is time for those whom America has done so right by to start doing right by America.
Bill doesn’t even get chance to be debated Saying ‘No’ is something the Republican minority in the United States Senate does well (and often). Taking action on behalf of workers? Not at all. From the AFL-CIO Blog: Just three days into the lame-duck Congress, Republicans returned to their obstructionist ways. Today, all the Senate Republicans voted […]
Most significant social reform since Medicare On March 23, 2010, President Barack Obama signed into law the most sweeping changes to our health insurance system since the enactment of Medicare in 1965. Among the usual guests at the bill signing ceremony in the White House – figures like Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, Senate […]
The North Carolina State AFL-CIO is the largest association of local unions and union councils in North Carolina, representing over one-hundred and forty-thousand union members, fighting for good jobs, safe workplaces, workers’ rights, consumer protections, and quality public services on behalf of ALL working people.