Good coverage for a powerful event
Our Workers’ Memorial Day service got covered by ABC 11 and made their midday news, and we received coverage throughout the day on WRAL and Spectrum / News 14.
The News & Observer covered us as well, picking up on our call for Commissioner Berry to show up next year and to pay more attention “to workers’ safety, including stricter oversight at job sites and higher fines for violations.”
Finally, we had a great opinion piece written by Bill Dworkin, president of the NC Alliance for Retired Americans Education Fund, which was published in the High Point Enterprise and Jefferson Post and posted online by NC Policy Watch.
Watch and share the Facebook live video.
Here’s the full media and blog roundup:
- TVEyes Report: Clips that aired throughout the day
- N&O editorial: A tolling bell calls out the need for better worker safety in NC
- N&O article: Bell tolls 150 times for NC’s fallen workers, killed on the job
- N&O video: Workers’ Memorial Day observance held on the Capitol grounds in Raleigh to honor the 150 people known to have died from workplace injuries in 2015
- ABC 11 story: Memorial held for those killed in workplace accidents in Raleigh
- Que Pasa Raleigh article – and Charlotte: Recuerdan a fallecidos en accidentes laborales
- High Point Enterprise op-ed: Guest column: Safe workplaces are a worker’s right
- NC Policy Watch op-ed: On Workers’ Memorial Day, workplace fatalities in NC remain a woefully under-addressed scandal
- NC AFL-CIO blog post: Grieving Family Members Join Workers Memorial Day Service in Raleigh
- SAF blog post: Field Notes by Student Action with Farmworkers
- NC Council of Churches blog post: Do We Treat Workers as We Would Treat Jesus?
- NCCC speech by Rev. Dr. Copeland: Workers’ Memorial: Remembering Those Who Have Died
- Jefferson Post op-ed: Workplace fatalities in NC remain a woefully under-addressed scandal