“Fix the Mess We Made” would be more honest
A coalition of CEOs and corporations lobbying hard to cut their taxes and pay for it by cutting your benefits, “Fix the Debt” began rolling out its $60 million media campaign to bamboozle reporters and the public, today. The corporations pushing the agenda include financial crisis-causing Goldman Sachs and others like them.
These CEOs are peddling a pledge to members of Congress that would abolish taxes on offshore profits – thereby encouraging the offshoring of our jobs – and keep the Bush tax giveaway to the richest 2% of taxpayers – policies a majority of voters rejected at the ballot box when they re-elected President Obama. To pay for these policies, “Fix the Debt” CEOs seek cuts in benefits for Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. But since cutting benefits for these family-protecting programs is deeply unpopular, they claim the deficit leaves us no other choice.
“North Carolinians should keep in mind that this coalition includes many of the same big corporate CEOs who created the financial crisis and were bailed out with taxpayer money,” said NC State AFL-CIO Secretary-Treasurer, MaryBe McMillan, in a statement about the “Fix the Debt” circus coming to North Carolina:.
The ‘Leadership Council’ of 80 CEOs behind “Fix the Debt” stand to cash-in if Congress extends the Bush tax giveaway for the richest 2% and fails to protect programs that provide economic security to the other 98% of Americans.
“Real leadership is listening to the will of the voters who, in re-electing President Obama, support raising revenue to lower our debt in a balanced way by asking folks making more than $250,000 a year to pay more,” said McMillan.
“Real leadership is acknowledging that we cannot ‘fix the debt’ by giving huge tax cuts to the wealthy and corporations. Defending the money working people have paid into Social Security and Medicare and not using it as a piggy bank to satisfy the pledge of a special-interest group with deep pockets – that’s the kind of real leadership North Carolinians need right now from their members of Congress.” — MaryBe McMillan