August 15, 2011
DOI enhances consumer protections
If you’re having trouble finding, keeping, or using health insurance in North Carolina, now you have a powerful ally in your corner.
The North Carolina Department of Insurance has created a new consumer assistance program, Health Insurance Smart NC. Smart NC’s purpose is to assist North Carolinians who have questions and complaints involving health insurance. The program is equipped to help you with:
- Finding health insurance coverage.
- Filing complaints and appeals with health insurance companies – including within your plan’s internal process.
- Counseling on utilization review and appeals.
- Requesting external review of insurance company decisions and denials.
- Understanding your rights and responsibilities regarding health insurance coverage.
- Getting answers to your questions about insurance coverage issues by providing info, referrals, and direct assistance.
These services are provided at no cost to consumers, and Smart NC can help anyone covered by private insurance, group plans, high risk pools, or any other kind of public insurance.
“There is a great need for a source of accurate, up-to-date, and unbiased information about health insurance for the public,” said Insurance Commissioner Wayne Goodwin. “I want people to know they can turn to Smart NC for assistance as they make important decisions about health insurance.”
Health Insurance Smart NC is the latest example of how the North Carolina DOI is working on behalf of consumers – not the insurance companies it regulates. The Insurance Commissioner is directly elected by the people, and we thank Commissioner Goodwin for embracing his constitutional duty to advocate for the citizens and consumers of North Carolina.
Smart NC’s trained specialists work out of DOI offices in Raleigh, New Bern, and Asheville. North Carolinians can contact Smart NC toll-free by calling 1-877-885-0231. Learn more about this important new resource for consumers at www.ncdoi.com/smart.