Unions of Working People Working Together for a Better Life in North Carolina
The North Carolina State AFL-CIO (NC State AFL-CIO) is the largest association of unions of working people in North Carolina, representing a hundred and thirty thousand members, working together for good jobs, safe workplaces, workers’ rights, consumer protections, and quality public services on behalf of ALL working people.
The contributions of all local unions in North Carolina are vital to sustaining our state’s labor movement. Each local’s views and energy in addressing concerns common to all workers are what our movement needs.
We are a democratic organization, governed by a constitution, and accountable to our member unions. The affiliated membership elects our leadership – two full-time officers and an executive board representative of unions across North Carolina. The programs we undertake and the services we offer are also determined by our membership.
What We’re About
The NC State AFL-CIO builds unity across North Carolina’s labor movement to ensure all working people have the freedom to join together to negotiate a better life for themselves and their families.
Our goals include:
- Build a unified and diverse labor movement and effective federation at the state and local level.
- Rewrite the rules of the economy to
- Make sure every job is a good job;
- Sustain and grow unions and worker bargaining power;
- Secure a social safety net for working people and their families.
- Establish an independent political voice for working people that speaks to the future of the economy and the emerging workforce, including people of color, women, and immigrants.